Central California Alliance for Health
August 22, 2017
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA ALLIANCE FOR HEALTH (“THE ALLIANCE”), SCOTTS VALLEY, CA
Do you thrive in a dynamic environment? Does the opportunity to work collaboratively with a senior management team that strives for excellence appeal to you? If so, Central California Alliance for Health (“The Alliance”) has an exciting opportunity for a senior level Finance & Accounting professional that you may want to consider.
The Alliance is an award-winning regional non-profit health plan, established in 1996, with over 21 years of successful operation. Using the State’s County Organized Health System (COHS) model, they currently serve 355,643 members in Santa Cruz, Monterey and Merced counties and works in partnership with its contracted providers to promote prevention, early detection, effective treatment and improve access to quality health care for its members. This results in the delivery of innovative community-based health care services, better medical outcomes and cost savings. The Alliance is governed with local representation from each county on its Board of Commissioners.
The Alliance is a health plan that was developed to improve access to health care for lower income residents who often lacked a primary care “medical home” and so relied on emergency rooms for basic services. The Alliance has pursued its mission by linking members to primary care physicians and clinics that deliver timely services and preventive care and arranging referrals to specialty care.
Ideally situated, Scotts Valley is a small city in Northern Santa Cruz County about twenty miles south of San Jose and six miles north of the beach in the upland slope of the Santa Cruz Mountains. With a population that ranges around 11,000, Scotts Valley is near Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, and Roaring Camp Railroads. The town is surrounded by redwood forests. The scenic coastal city of Santa Cruz lies to the south.
Santa Cruz County’s 29 miles of beaches offer the perfect setting for nearly every type of activity. However, its beaches are just the beginning of all there is to see and do in Santa Cruz County. Please visit Santa Cruz County Conference & Visitor Council’s website at http://www.santacruzca.org for more information.
Reporting to the CEO, this position:
Assures financial viability of the organization through operational tasks;
Oversees the overall financial management of The Alliance and the administration and monitoring all financial activities relating to the fiscal forecasting, management, growth and development of Alliance business operations;
Manages, directs and supervises the Finance Division’s services and staff;
Participates in strategic planning and goal setting for the Alliance; and
Performs other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assures financial viability of the organization through operational tasks, with duties including but not limited to:
- Developing and implementing fiscal strategies related to forecasting and budgetary goals necessary to meet The Alliance’s fiscal goals, operational requirements and business development needs;
- Developing sound working budget(s) that promote continued financial solvency and opportunity for business growth;
- Completing complex cost benefit studies and analyzes experience factors, trends, risks, and historical data utilized in financial forecasting;
- Overseeing long-range budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the Alliance’s business plan;
- Developing, implementing and monitoring systems of internal financial controls to safeguard the financial assets of the organization;
- Recommending and administering investment policies to maximize earnings on idle funds;
- Developing rate negotiations with the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB), Public Authority of Santa Cruz County, local non-profit funding entities, providers and other contract sources;
- Developing financial conclusions and recommendations and presenting fiscal strategies to the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Commissioners
2. The overall financial management of The Alliance, and administration and monitoring all financial activities relating to the fiscal forecasting, management, growth and development of Alliance business operations; with duties including but not limited to:
- Preparing and monitoring The Alliance’s Administrative and Medical budgets;
- Overseeing preparation of monthly financial statements and presenting results to the Board of Commissioners;
- Overseeing the Finance Staff to maintain accurate accounts, ledgers, and financial reporting systems in accordance with GAAP and regulatory requirements of State contracts;
- Overseeing the preparation of all financial reports required by external regulatory organizations including DHCS, DMHC, IRS, HCFA and MRMIB;
- Analyzing health care costs, trends, experience factors, risks and historical data to determine cost effectiveness of program service delivery;
- Developing rates for contract negotiations with State, local and non-profit entities;
- Developing capitation rates for numerous health service categories;
- Developing Provider Incentive budget allocation and settlement policies and calculations;
- Overseeing the production of fiscal data needed to complete long and short term budget projections;
- Overseeing and monitoring bank account(s) transactions required to administer financial functions of the organization; and
- Conducting complex research and analysis of program feasibility and financial viability of new program opportunities.
3. Manages, directs and supervises the Finance Division’s services and staff, with duties including but not limited to:
- Overseeing all of Division’s services;
- Supervising staff with duties including recruiting, interviewing, selecting, training;
- Evaluating employee performance, providing feedback, and counseling and coaching as needed;
- Participates in Finance policy development;
- Attends and participates in various meetings and committees and distributing appropriate information direction and information to staff;
- Attends State and County governmental agency meetings,
- Participates in Cost Containment Committee to review cost variances and develops corrective action plans to address deficiencies or areas at risk; and
- Assists the Chief Executive Officer in preparation of special projects and reports
4. Participates in strategic planning and goal setting for the Alliance, with duties including but not limited to:
- Anticipating and forecasting industry trends affecting Alliance operations;
- Setting proactive goals and developing opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations, to benefit customer service, administrative quality, and operating efficiency;
- Participating in new business planning and development; and
- Developing and maintaining analytic reports and performance metrics related to strategic goals and projects.
5. Performs duties as assigned.
EDCUATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business or related field;
- Master’s Degree in Business or Finance preferred
- Minimum six years’ experience in public accounting or finance including experience in health care finance, HMO financial management and the Medi-Cal Program; including a minimum of three years supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
JOB SPECIFIC KNOLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of the following:
- Prepaid health care industry
- California Medi-Cal programs and regulations
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Advanced audit techniques and standards;
- Accounting software applications, Accpac/SBT, ADP, Caradigm; Discoverer and AIS preferred;
- Working knowledge and proficiency with Windows based PC based systems and MS Office Suite;
- Working knowledge of the principles of organizational management;
- Excellent financial analytical and complex abstract reasoning skills;
- Ability to plan, lead, assign, supervise and evaluate the work of others;
- Ability to demonstrate a collaborative management style and effectively manage business relationships and administrative contracts with consultants and vendors, and
- Ability to adjust communication style in order to facilitate collaboration and understanding.
If challenge, a chance to make a difference, job stability, work/life balance and continued professional growth and evolution are important to you, this is an opportunity you’ll want to consider!
For further information, please contact:
Mary Niccum or Susan Pisarik
The Job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or work environment change